Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Birds...

First blog entry....not sure how one starts a "blog" but here goes... :-)

Today when I woke up I was reminded of Easter 2007. Something about the weather, the smell of the air, sound of all the birds....I don't know. For those friends of mine that have recently come back into my life via Facebook, that Easter will FOREVER remain the craziest. Hands down.

Easter itself was rather uneventful as they usually are....Church, egg hunts, candy induced high followed by the crash and coma that follows from the consumption of a plethora of candy by toddlers. Upon our return from Kentucky we were met with a few surprises....

Surprise #1. The refrigerator door was left cracked open and all the food was spoiled. Yep! Nothing like coming home to a spoiled fridge full of hundreds of dollars of food and condiments....everybody's dream! Perfect way to start the week right? SUPER easy for me to replace everything...especially since at that time N was 4, E was 2.5 and H was 4 months old. Grocery shopping with all three was clearly a nightmare from hell... Can you say walking advertisement for birth control?

Surprise #2. A sparrow built a nest in wreath on my front door. Not only that, but she and her mate were evidently sleeping when I inadvertently opened the door to collect a package. What happened next you ask? Yes, at 1:30 am they flew in the house. Two birds...flying around my foyer (with a very high vaulted ceiling) crapping everywhere and landing on my light fixtures. My husband suggested leaving them until morning. Seriously...?! There was no way in hell I was going to bed and leaving the feathered freaks flying around only to swoop my head in the morning...they were dive bombing us, swooping like a couple of WW2 bombers. I am completely OCD and although I love nature...this was too much.

We tried everything to get them out. What the neighbors saw, I am sure they still laugh about. The front door was wide open,middle of the night, the lights were on, we tossed nerf balls at them, stuffed animals, toilet paper rolls and even used a long handled duster to scare them out...to no avail. Finally the domestic goddess that I am had an idea....

We opened ONE bedroom door upstairs and closed all the rest. We shut off all the lights in the house except for that one. Commence nerf throwing! The birds flew right in the bedroom (with only 9 foot ceiling) and we shut the door. What happened then is still a mystery to me as my husband went in with a sheet. I heard lots of jumping and cussing and moments later he came out with a bird flapping and flopping around in a sheet. Open front door....release. Again he enters the bedroom sheet in tow. Thud, jump, cuss...door opens and bird #2 flopping in bag. Open front door....release.

Seriously one of the funniest things I have ever experienced, albeit disgusting as I cleaned sparrow poop off or many, many things in my home for the next week! Yuck! Domestic Goddess' plan saved the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment